Thursday, December 5, 2013

Do humans answer the phone anymore?

Okay, I'll state for the sake of clarity, that I just got off the phone with Paypal. Now I'm sure they're very nice people and I know they serve a great purpose for many, and the woman I spoke with was very nice, but they use that computer generated response to phone calls that I find absolutely irritating. It takes forever to navigate through it in order that I can speak to a human being. By that time, I need to be taken away in a straight jacket. Because at that point, I'm willing to perform my entire black belt test on the next person I talk to. The whole thing. So, to save myself from arrest and incarceration, I guess I just won't use Paypal anymore. Call it the path of least resistance. Call it anything you want..but I surrender. I'm done.

Also, I'm a bit of a techie. I networked our house when the boys homeschooled. I bought them computers, and they both have college degrees in that field. They're also gainfully employed, which is a plus. So, I'm not a novice at "all things computer". I think some of these places put you into a continual loop so that you continue to use their service or product or whatever. I used to have a Pitney Bowes account at the business I owned. Never get one of those, by the way. It's not that the machines don't work..they do work. And they work well. I enjoyed mine while I had it, but then I wanted to get a Dymo Stamps account. It didn't have a rental fee or a monthly service fee, so I decided that would fit my needs better. So I called them one day and asked them to send me a box to return it to them. They didn't want me to use my own box. So, I called and talked to this ridiculous man who wouldn't let me close my account. I had to call several more people to make this happen. He took great delight at my confusion and would not let me close that account. Except that he did close it and didn't tell me so. I had to go through their maze to find someone who told me that it was taken care of and the box was on the way to me. When it got to me, it was practically destroyed. There was nothing in it, so it didn't survive the trip on the UPS truck. So, I taped it back together, put the postal machine in it, and sent it back. I never heard another word from them. I still have my Dymo Stamps account. Any time I need assistance, I can call them, get a human, and they help me with whatever I need. I highly recommend using them. I'll do anything not to have to go to the post office..

I love technology. I love computers. I love gadgets. I just don't like calling someone I do business with and having to navigate too many selections. I don't mind a voice that comes on to ask which department I want, but after that, knock it off. Get me to a real person. I can be done with my business so much more quickly than if I have to go from one place to another. US Bank does this well. And they stay on the line with me and introduce me to the next person I have to talk to. I like that. Sometimes they even will give me a phone number to call if something goes haywire just to get back to them so we can start over. That's all I ask. Just some respect. I'm more than happy to extend that to any of them. 

Okay, rant's over..thanks for listening.. and lots of hugs and love to Dymo Stamps and US Bank. You guys rock!


No comments:

Post a Comment